My name is Michael Valentinov Scopchanov, in Cyrillic Михаил Валентинов Скопчанов. I am born in the autumn of 1977 in Varna, a sunny city lying on the coast of the Black Sea.
I went through several different programming languages and platforms through the years, including microcontrollers, DSP, and PLC. Recently I focussed my programming efforts mainly on Qt for desktop applications. I keep my knowledge in this area up to date by:
- reading the official Qt documentation and examples,
- watching tutorials available on Youtube,
- taking courses on Udemy,
- participating in online events like webinars, Qt related talks, etc.
- reading books about generic C++ programming, clean code and design patterns,
- actively participating in Stack Overflow by asking and answering Qt related questions,
- updating to the latest versions of Qt shortly after their release,
- digging into the source code of Qt,
- working on several Qt-based projects of mine for desktop applications and open-source libraries.
I believe the ability to communicate is a distinct feature of intelligent life. For me, as a human, this means knowing as many natural languages as possible. Next to Bulgarian, which is my mother language, I also speak German, English, Polish and Russian. I am learning Spanish now, with Dutch, Swedish, and Japan coming someday after that. The time will tell how many languages I will still manage to learn.
Although I have never managed to become a rockstar, the music began playing a significant role in my life.
I started playing drums at the age of 16, taking private lessons by the most prominent drums teacher in the Varna region – Nikolay Tonchev, who also played oboe at the State Opera of Varna at that time. In 2014 I participated in a masterclass by the world-renown drummer Dave Weckl in Treppendorf. Since 2018 I also take part in the annual Summer Course for Symphonic Wind Orchestra in Rhineland-Palatinate.
I have played in numerous rock and party bands in my home city of Varna and took part in a couple of recording projects worldwide. Currently, I play with the Symphonic Wind Orchestra of Landau, the Brass Connection Big Band, and the Deutsche Weinstraße Wind Philharmonie.
Many different popular musical styles have inspired me through the years, including blues, soul, funk, rock, and disco. However, my all-time favorite genre is the german melodic metal represented by bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray, and Blind Guardian.